Parliament Decorum

• Lead Storytellers Administrators

Please keep in mind a few things and a few thoughts of mine.

1. This is a Parliament that deals only with certain things, the rest should be put in a moot format for all the city to decide. We need to define the scope of what we deal with, but this should be incredibly narrow. We are not a ruling body in charge of all laws, and I wouldn’t support that wide a remit.
    2. We are not the Tower. Speaking in snark is a pain, but I don’t want to see anyone muzzled. I also do not agree with the Sarjeant being given liberty to define justice. They have a specific role in the city defined by what Felicia thinks best, but that don’t extent to the council, and hey ain’t our keepers. We can agree to people being given enough time to speak without interruption, maybe set a time limit so they don’t keep us there all night on just their topic of interest.
    3. Votes should be able to be called by anyone , and also should be available to be submitted by any member of the city. We don’t be needing this dual issue stuff. Let’s be clear about point 1, so everyone knows what to expect.
    4. Impeaching a member should only ever be put to a vote that is city wide. If that means they remain, then they remain.
    5. I am fine with Sarjeant and Emissary being given a vote. Tie to be broken by Felicia.

I may have some more later, but that’s enough to be thinking of now.

• Yves

Oh, and I think we should publish the notes for everyone in the city to see, except for the topics that might be sensitive to the sect enemies. Anything else should be transparent.

• Y

• The original proposition was that the Emmisary would have a vote, the Sargeant would not. I am in favor of keeping this balance.

The Baron does not vote to break a tie between them, she votes to break one between the whole Parliament.

I am not sure the point of the Parliament if our scope is so limited. What is an action that we should vote on?

Tucker

Yeah, I meant she gets to break a tie across the council. I don’t mind who gets to vote overly, so happy to go with a consensus. Things the council should look at I imagine to be external threats, how to push back against the Tower, mediation for disputes between coteries that have enough firepower to bring attention. Sorting issues between Guilds, so it don’t escalate outwards. Dealing with SI threats and keeping things away from their gaze. There’s probably more, but it’s the critical stuff in my mind, not a Primogen council like we had in the other place. I’m keen to be as light touch as we can.

• Yves

• Storytellers

I believe there should be a method for those in the city to be able to call a no confidence motion in a member. As Parliament we are accountable to the city. We serve them.

Some discussion should be allowed, not simply one-at-a-time hands-raised. However, each person present should be able to speak if they have something they wish to add, and I can agree with a time limit to prevent meetings taking an eternity. That is, actual discussion, not endless bickering.

I categorically refuse to be subject to the Saergent’s definition of justice and him being free to use violence with us having no recourse to defend ourselves. Unless the Masquerade is being threatened. He serves the Baron and Parliament and his role as enforcer should be strictly when necessary, his primary job is census taker. If he attacks me unduly, I will defend myself.

I agree that violence and discipline use should generally have little place in our discissions. Though discipline use may be very hard to prove.

I think it would be good for our meeting minutes to be published to the city, with sensitive parts redacted when - and only when - necessary. I am not opposed to members of the city attending meetings if they wish, so long as they do not disrupt proceedings. We can adjourn to a side room if sensitive matters must be discussed in seclusion.

• T

• That is a list I’m fine with, but I think we have a semantic distinction on what’s considered light. That’s an appropriate lever of oversight for our leglistlated body.

Tucker

Part of my logic is that by doing less we have more impact when we drop the hammer, and more validity. I don’t want to be wiping everyones arses. But I’ll also shut up and let the rest chip in their ideas as that’s the point, for us all to air ideas and pick what fits.

Also, nice job on kicking this into gear Tucker. Much appreciated.

• Yves

• There’s only so much you can do while trying to knit your bones and muscle back together. You’re welcome.

Tucker

• I don’t know if it matters at this point, but I’d like to submit another rule for Parliament, at least while it’s still wheezing.

No thrall in a bloodbond should be allowed to sit on the council.

I was musing on the meaning of the rules we set up. We put in the rule that no favors could be used for council votes. Or that no Disciplines could. What about compulsions? We know what the blood can do.

I think back to Alex, a charming, influential guy. Good chance he coulda won an election. Only…he’s bound to the Caitiff-no, I mean, Toreador, oops, I guess re-Caitiff Reznor. Who’s bound to Mr. Johnson, who ultimately could have been pulling the strings of a council member, privy to even the confidential discussions. And reporting them to the Tower.

I’d accept Hilt as the monitor on this. And examiner.

• Hector

• Storytellers

I get what you mean, Hector, but I for one ain’t submitting myself for some medical/magic examination just to have a part in politics.

-Bettie

• Storytellers

If you really want to do that, should be thrall OR regnant. My Guild would be happy to examine you all.

• T

• I think I’ll let the wisdom of this motion stand on its own and vote accordingly.

Tucker

• @syn said in Parliament Decorum:

If you really want to do that, should be thrall OR regnant. My Guild would be happy to examine you all.

• T

Tia, do you mean someone who is a regnant of a thrall on the council? The point is to ensure, as with our other items, that a council member is not susceptible to involuntary control.

Bettie, I would submit that someone is tested only if the majority of the council votes that there is reasonable concerns regarding. There would of course need to be issues with disposal of any blood used.

Otherwise, what’s the point of the other items? It’s like a condom with a hole in it - only the illusion of ‘decorum’.

• Hector

• Okay, I’ve tried to be polite, and have extended so many olive branches that my fucking arm is getting tired.

What I’m reading into this HECTOR, is that you’d like to circumvent the elections we held because you don’t like Tucker and I. That sound about right? So… you want the Parliament to limit who can sit, regardless of elections? Hypocrite.

• Emmeric

• We could always have Tucker quit. Emmeric got elected to Parliament, Tucker got a free pass for heading Spine.

-Cassie

• Storytellers

NO.

Quit. This. Shit.

All of you. We are not making binding fucking rules based on ‘I don’t like x person they’re an asshole’. Think with your damn head. Do you want a blanket rule forbidding enthralled Cainites to serve on the Parliament or not? Are you okay with subjecting Parliament members - including yourselves - to involuntary examination in service of this?

And it goes both ways. If you want no enthralled Cainites, no regnants either. The same as we forbid buying OR selling favors for votes.

• T

That wouldn’t be right to do. If Hector wants to bring something up he can, but it is a future rule and I agree with Tia here… I don’t like what this sets going forward. It definitely don’t feel like the right time to do it either, all things considered. But also Tucker got in same way as others did and ain’t nothing wrong about that… we can’t be arbitrary. And people voted for Emmeric knowing shit, ain’t like they tried to hide nothing. Which is a different matter altogether.

My suggestion is this don’t become an issue right now and if you still feel the same in future, have a chat about it then when everything is calm and settled.

• Yves