"Downtime"

• Between the chronicle tenets and the various goals we all have there is an expectation that we are all supposed to be actively doing things. Whether we are attempting to expand our influence, strengthen our coterie, or achieve some other personal milestone, it’s understood that we should all be doing something so there is more interaction and less sitting on our hands.

I understand and appreciate this aspect of V5. However, we are getting slightly less XP in general and everything is more expensive than it used to be, two things which guarantee the climb towards vampiric Godhood will take much, much longer. I stare at Nora’s goals almost daily and try to decide what I can do to work on them. Ultimately it seems that we can all have a plan of action in terms of acquiring Allies/Contacts/Influence but it matters very little if we don’t have the XP to actually buy it yet. Speaking personally, I feel like this leaves me with a lot of downtime wherein I may be interacting with other PCs but I’m not really doing anything.

So how do I fix this? Is it a matter of changing my perspective or is there more I could be doing? Are we allowed to organize and execute our own events like the rave? Are we allowed to ask the STs to run a scene that might provide opportunities for bonus XP through RP? Should exercise patience and wait for plot to come to me or should be out there, hunting it down and grabbing it by the throat?

Thanks in advance!

• Yeah with Doc I was like “Well, eff, all his goals are downtime goals. Does this mean I get no expees to accomplish my goals?”

• Storytellers

Is it a matter of changing my perspective or is there more I could be doing?

If you find your goals aren’t working for you, you can always discuss that in chambers to try to tweak those. Additionally, don’t be afraid of being mean. Screw over an adversary as you’re also working on your goals. It will help you earn the max xp to achieve the things you want to achieve. Good adversarial relationships not only need to happen but they make more interesting roleplay.

Are we allowed to organize and execute our own events like the rave?

Yes. You may have to set things up in chambers, but you can absolutely drive your own scenes and whatnot.

Are we allowed to ask the STs to run a scene that might provide opportunities for bonus XP through RP?

At least as far as the ‘completing goals’ and ‘screwing people over’ xp, yeah. Also if you just want to explore things about Branton it can probably be arranged.

Should exercise patience and wait for plot to come to me or should be out there, hunting it down and grabbing it by the throat?

Hunt plot down, grab it by the throat. If you wait for everything to come to you it may never make it your way. Also, drive your own plots, like events and adversarial and alliance type relationships.

• @bek Thank you! I have some ideas I will probably run by you guys tonight!

• I’ve been thinking a lot about this as well. It’s hard to be a dick… lol. But, I guess it’ll also be fun at the same time. >.>

• Storytellers

@duh

/me sideeyes from Logan.

• @duh I can’t seem to pull the trigger either. I’m trying!

• @bek ------…ROTFL

• To explain… I think I tortured poor Logan.

• @bek — I’ve been thinking about the Logan thing for a bit since you brought it up. The thing about it was… that was SO organic. ROTFL

• Storytellers

Yeah Maria was such a sweet angel besides that!

• @jaxon - Thanks for noticing 😄

Also… it’s not my fault you were playing a wet noodle dancer.

• Yeah, and I’m such a diplomat at heart that it takes everything for me not to be like “hey rival let’s be fren instead.”

Cuz OOC, all my experience is that the Long Game, which we’re all supposedly playing, actually benefits far more from non-conflict than it does from conflict. Cuz unless the rival and all their allies die the second you have your first victory, that victory only ensures that you will have future losses. Not saying we shouldnt. Juse saying why its hard.

PS-- Define Irony: the first time I had a character recognize and take an opportunity to gain the upper hand on someone… His long game suffered a rather significant setback, you could say. 😄

• Lead Storytellers Administrators

There is a dichotomy there. On the one hand we play creatures who could/would plan for centuries. On the other we have at best a few years in game and advance much more quickly in power than you would expect from a reasonable perspective.

However that isn’t such a big deal now really, because we’re all playing the lowest rung with the most immediate needs. It is hard for the unbound to plan century long strategies when the world has changed about them and they are happy to exist another night. It’s about feathering your nest for the here and now, then growing in power to do… something. Without getting caught up with all that SI stuff.

• Lead Storytellers Administrators

Having played a character that was loathed by a majority of a clan simply for being my clan. Having to play through it and over it to get information on things and work out with the few that didn’t hate me but watched them get it instead and sometimes purposefully to lessen my own hate, it is a strange but good thing.

No good story is complete without adversity. Just because they are a rival doesn’t mean you can’t be dealing with them. Think of GoT and similar stories, sometimes your worst enemies make your best allies until they then turn as well.