Book Club

• Storytellers

I’m starting one. Because why the fuck not. Call me cliche, but I miss book clubs.

We’ll set a book for all of us to read and meet to discuss, debate, and analyze. Y’all can suggest a book for the club to cover, and it’ll be a monthly thing.

Politics, literature, the occult - we’ll keep it varied.

Who’s interested?

And for those of you who are, cast your vote for this month’s text. The options are (feel free to put forth your own suggestions for future months):

• 1 - The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey. Written in 1969 by the legendary founder of the Church of Satan and LaVeyan Satanism: the author, musician, occultist, and all around showman Anton Szandor LaVey , The Satanic Bible is surprisingly more a philosophical text than it is religious, arguing in favor of a life focused on self-indulgence and freedom.

• 2 - Negroes With Guns by Robert F. Williams. A foundational text, said to be “The single most important intellectual influence on Huey P. Newton, the founder of the Black Panther Party”. During the height of the fight for civil rights, Robert Williams organized armed self-defense against the violence of the Ku Klux Klan. This is the story of that movement.

• 3 - The ABC of Anarchism by Alexander Berkman. Another foundational text, this is often considered to be one of the best introductions to kine anarchist philosophy in part due to its presentation of these ideas in plain language. The author was a leading member of the kine anarchist movement in the early 20th century and this text was published in 1929, a time when the movement was actively under siege.

• T

• This post is deleted!

• I’m in. Sounds like something I should have a clue about, an’ in fact have been looking around for instruction. At the very least, do it so I can holler the right slogans.

No. 3 seems like a logical choice.

• Hector

• Oooo can we read Bram Stoker’s Dracula, heard it was pretty good.
    -Vincent.

• Storytellers

I don’t know who this Robert dude is, but if he influenced Brother Huey, sign me up for Negroes With Guns.

~TJ

• I’d be interested in this…I’d pick number 3 as well

• I’m voting for Berkman. But don’t you all start taking that man at his word, he’s just a starting point for philosophy and he’s… well… it’ll be a good read. But there’s a lot to argue with. It’ll be fun!

-Alex

• Storytellers

Satanic Bible. I may come up with some suggestions for future meetings soon.

-Bettie

• I actually wouldn’t mind the Bible either. And it’d lead to less arguments, as much as I’d love to shove my political views on you all.

-Alex

• A or C - I’m cool with either!

~Reznor

• Storytellers

I’d discuss any of these, really, but I’ve never read the Satanic Bible before.

-Bettie

• Toreador Spine

How could I lose a book club, dears? I’ll be delighted to join! Occult is not exactly my cup of tea, so I’d suggest the choices 2 or 3.

Love,
    Delia

• Hilt

I vote for Negros with Guns.

Anja.

• Sounds like a good time. A. I seem to recall something about the Church of Satan being the original anarchists.

• Emmeric Durand

• Storytellers

As things have calmed down, at least for now, the book club will be going ahead.

The first month’s book will be The ABC of Anarchism by Alexander Berkman.

A foundational text, this is often considered to be one of the best introductions to kine anarchist philosophy in part due to its presentation of these ideas in plain language. The author was a leading member of the kine anarchist movement in the early 20th century and this text was published in 1929, a time when the movement was actively under siege.

If you don’t have access to a copy, I’ll be happy to provide. April will be reading and we’ll meet at the end of the month for discussion and liquor.

• T

((The book is freely and legally available online at the following link: http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/alexander-berkman-what-is-communist-anarchism ))

• Everyone is excited to read Dracula also.
    -Vincent

• I’ll torrent a copy. I’ll try to be around for the meet up. Sounds fun.

-Helena

• Storytellers

Dracula is not this month’s book. If you want to submit it as a suggestion for a future month go ahead (and other people feel free to also submit suggestions), and people can vote on it if they want when I set up the voting in a couple weeks, but this month is The ABC of Anarchism.

• T

• Maybe we should download one copy and run a bunch of manual copies.

A dozen sudden downloads of an “Anarch” book all in one location might just be the thing that draws the wrong kind of attention.

• Hector

• Storytellers

This is your halfway point reminder!

The book club will be meeting on the 4th of May. May the fourth be with y’all. This month’s choice is The ABC Of Anarchism by Alexander Berkman

Submissions are now open for next month’s book choice. Reply here with your choices.

• T