The Underlying Question...

• @aarkon said in The Underlying Question...: For a few examples, going above and beyond the book you guys have eliminated humanity 8 from Farmer to fit your current ‘darker’ version of the same presented in the book as well Coteries you are doing, which sounds interesting and at least we could look to our coterie for support and at place safe from the shit slinging.

LOL don’t get me wrong here, but for me, it takes LESS humanity to drink/feed/kill a freaking animal. Honestly. Most people nowadays seem to have more empathy for animals than for humans, anyway. That’s just me, though.

• @duh Good point! Had not considered that previously.

• @jess said in The Underlying Question...:

@duh Good point! Had not considered that previously.

The idea of putting my cat down soon consistently brings me to tears. He’s got cancer, and I know it’s gonna have to happen soon. I think only sociopaths could kill animals so easily.

• Lead Storytellers Administrators

@Isaac The touchstones are just the tool you use to maintain your convictions. If they die and unable to transfer the conviction to a new touchstone, you lose that conviction. However you can never have less than 1 conviction which means less than 1 touchstone. We are discussing whether or not it will be roll until you get one hooked or we will just say it happens and you will have one. And there is a benefit to having more than 1 conviction. If you need to do a humanity check for breaking a chronicle tenet, but you got your stain from or while upholding your conviction, it reduces your difficulty to maintain your humanity. So if you have 1 conviction, it’s less of a chance of being able to say that you were upholding it as opposed to having three. They are your armor to your humanity.

Humanity being a bit un-tethered from your convictions broadens out the ability to live in a way that is morally appropriate for your character. The problems with humanity 8 are mechanical, in terms of walking in the day and so forth. That isn’t an aspect we wanted to bring in, which we think is fine and works well with the fact convictions now play a much greater role of personal prominence over the more generic humanity, which effects everyone.

@Duh
    you’re right, one of the hallmarks of being a sociopath (I think it is sociopath, may be psychopath) is the killing of animals. Even if you subsist purely on rodents like rats, you have to kill A LOT- at least 12 rats, 3-4 cats) to slake only 1 hunger. It makes no sense to for it to be humanity 8 and be allowed to daywalk and have sex and whatever else it says. So yes, we decreased it to better fit our game.

• @malevolence said in The Underlying Question...:

@Duh
    you’re right, one of the hallmarks of being a sociopath (I think it is sociopath, may be psychopath) is the killing of animals. Even if you subsist purely on rodents like rats, you have to kill A LOT- at least 12 rats, 3-4 cats) to slake only 1 hunger. It makes no sense to for it to be humanity 8 and be allowed to daywalk and have sex and whatever else it says. So yes, we decreased it to better fit our game.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with you on this ruling.

@Duh Thanks. I do appreciate that.

• @duh said in The Underlying Question...:

@aarkon said in The Underlying Question...: For a few examples, going above and beyond the book you guys have eliminated humanity 8 from Farmer to fit your current ‘darker’ version of the same presented in the book as well Coteries you are doing, which sounds interesting and at least we could look to our coterie for support and at place safe from the shit slinging.

LOL don’t get me wrong here, but for me, it takes LESS humanity to drink/feed/kill a freaking animal. Honestly. Most people nowadays seem to have more empathy for animals than for humans, anyway. That’s just me, though.

To be fair I didn’t say I agree’d with the reason why the writers of V5 made this call.
    Just that it is a rule in the book that had been changed. I wasn’t stating my personal viewpoint on the matter of killing animals vs people.

• @aarkon That’s fair, bud! I was just responding to the ruling, myself, though LOL

• Wow, this exploded.

First, I want to say that I was very apprehensive about posting in the first place, precisely because I was worried it would seem as smearing feces on so much hard work (to maintain the scatological focus, tho’ never with John’s eloquence!) by so many people. I know these aren’t random GMs or STs or DMs or what-not, but people closely connected with the formation of the setting itself. And people who have done a helluva lot of work for what amounts to my fun.

Stef, I deeply apologize for causing you to feel unappreciated and distressed. My respect for you and the team is profound, both in Branton, Sang, and V5 in general and fuck it - in person, I’d imagine, should I get the chance some day!

I did indeed want to open a general conversation about some of the apprehensions of embarking on a darker version of an already dark game. And the response has been really reassuring and edifying.

I’m excited about the game. I have a lot of thoughts and plans concerning Hector’s dark heart, his humanity and ways to engage it.

But yeah, I do like to hold out hope for just a bit of light in the dark. The book’s not so reassuring. My trust in the storytellers is very much so. (to me at least).

(you may not have noticed, but I tend to make a bunch of parenthetical comments…)

Anyway, Stef, again I’m sorry for being the vehicle of distress. I can’t imagine better partners and enablers in this story quest, and I’m greatly looking forward to it.

Michael

• ::group hugs our sometimes dysfunctional family:: one of the main reasons I stay and even when I have to take breaks due to rl stress, I always come back and what I do enjoy is the people and their characters and the game most importantly. The passion we all have for it. We all play a part in this place sometimes good, sometimes bad lol I love how different we all are and how that translates into the game. I admire not only the sts, but the players at how amazingly((is that even a proper word to put there? Screw it)) great writers some of you are. So yeah. No point really to this, carry on.

@Scarecrow just a tip… I myself am a humorous guy. I love comedy. You’re talking to the guy that played a character whose major goal was to show male genitalia to polite society. The dude was a walking dick joke. Of course there is going to be some light-hearted stuff. But we need to hammer home the darker stuff and make sure it’s played and paid attention to. The light-hearted stuff comes naturally. It’s the difficult and dark stuff that needs coaching and to ensure it is played.

I will give an example of a past character. There was an issue that caused great damage to the city. I believe it was a Sabbat attack? I don’t really recall it, but it was this player’s reaction to it after the plot was over that stuck out. They put together a shelter for those displaced from the attack. That’s light-hearted… until you learned he did it so he can have a herd to feed from. That’s classic World of Darkness. But he had a party for a fundraiser and got other players involved in that, paid out boons and such. The party was your typical light-hearted high society affair. Until you realize there was blood dolls there. That’s some pretty dark stuff too, conditioning people and pump them full of drugs and alcohol for the sole purpose of you getting that high or drunk into your system. It’s all about the twist. The thing that takes the light-hearted and twists it to be selfish and dark.

• @brain - That’s what I meant with, when I said “we’re all human”.

• I have to say I agree Brian. I finally allowed myself to dive into that way more with Persephone and even more with Stormy and it did open my eyes to some of what the dark part of the game is about, those horrors. I even cried about some of it, lol but I did it because Stormy the blood sucking murderous Vampire would have not blinked an eye. 😉

• Hilt

Doc is a goodie-two-shows compared to this. Like he’s got stuff to believe in and kind-enough goals.

/me goes back to the drawing board to make a more appropriately heartless character.

• @onyx said in The Underlying Question...:

Doc is a goodie-two-shows compared to this. Like he’s got stuff to believe in and kind-enough goals.

/me goes back to the drawing board to make a more appropriately heartless character.

Don’t worry. Things can always get worse.

• Hilt

@cambion That’s precisely my point. He’s not worse enough for the setting.

• @onyx said in The Underlying Question...:

@cambion That’s precisely my point. He’s not worse enough for the setting.

The game hasn’t started yet. We’re all babies. There’s tons of time for him to lose his soul.

• I’m not the best player, I screw up a lot and make crazy mistakes. But sense I have been playing The ST’s have help me understand and teach me. They have been patient with me and I love that. I’m not good around people and I find it that this game has gotten me a way to relax and escape. I really dont understand V5 but I’m looking forward to how the ST’s re-create it for us all. There are some things I dont like about the new version. But I know from my time in this community that the ST’s will help us all and make the Chronicle fun for us all. This will be new for every one and change can be good for all of us.