Building an ST Notebook

A catch-all forum for out of character and off-topic discussions.

Moderators: Syn, Storytellers

Forum rules
Welcome to the Sanguinus.org forums. All new players are encouraged to check out the posts that are stickied as Announcements and apply to whichever usergroups that pertain to your character.

While we do NOT censor, we request that you please remember to be respectful and keep things civil when posting and above all... HAVE FUN!

PS: TRY to not necrothread unless it is extremely pertinent!

Building an ST Notebook

Postby Isaac » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 pm

All you GMs, STs, DMs, and whatever other names you have out there that go along with running the imaginary world that surrounds those Friday or Saturday (or whatever) nights we spend around a table playing role playing games together. I am thinking about gearing up for a Vampire: the Masquerade campaign for my table eventually, (We always circle around to it again) and would like to be somewhat prepared. I can build setting, characters, ambiance, and the like, but what I have issues with is organization and keeping the game running smoothly throughout the night. I want to put together a ST Notebook that will help me keep things running easily, probably including character sheets, NPC stuff, and other things. I would love some help/suggestions on things to include, or to do/avoid as I have never done something like this before. I intend for it to be an actual physical notebook so I do not have to reference my computer. I would be grateful for any and all ideas!

Thank you in advance!

P.S. Hope this sort of thing is okay to put here. If not, feel free to remove this post or move it to an appropriate area.
[Charles Coleman|Toreador | Whip| Camarilla Status: Praised by Council| Toreador Status: --|
Appearance 2| Charisma 2| Intimidation -| Leadership 1]
Isaac
Ancillae
Ancillae

Share On

Re: Building an ST Notebook

Postby Bek » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Have the "important" stats of all the npcs, or at least all the npcs for each encounter, in one spot and leave an area for you to write damage taken so you stay sane.

Maps are helpful for your and everyone else's sanity as well. You can have two copies of a map - one you show to your players, and one you keep in your notebook where you keep track of all the nasty surprises your players can stumble upon.
Viola, Nosferatu Primogen
Camarila Status: 4 | + Capable, PRAISED BY PRAXIS | - Caustic, SUSPICIOUS
Clan Status: Primogen
Charisma: 2 | Appearance: 1 (masked) | Intimidation: 2 | Leadership: 2

Also Plays: Anthony (Malkavian Ancilla), Kenneth (Ventrue), Jamal (Nosferatu Fledgling)
Bek
Storyteller
Storyteller

Re: Building an ST Notebook

Postby XeKad » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm a fan of dossiers and folders together with blinders.

I usually have the following noted down in pretty deep detail:
The Praxis
The Council
Whips
All their closests allies.
Maps of the hotspots; elysium, havens, chantry, and so on.

Overall I run a pretty detailed ST game when I do it on my own.

Maps of the domain is something I never do, mostly because I'm not fucking gonna draw a city or have the discussion of "but I've been there and waah waah you placed that building wrong, that doesn't exists there" bitch if I want trams in my domain I will have fucking trams.

Most importantly I keep track of how, when and why they interact with NPC's and I note this down too. In the NPC's part of the notes.

And don't stress yourself, it's almost impossible to think of -everything- because it will depend so much on your players playstile and how they choose to tackle things. I mean it's no point having a map over the streets if your players are like "we're taking the rooftop way!". Keep it simple but have a possible scenario and solution for any approach. A danger with having done too much is restricting the players and not letting them pursue their goals. I know it sounds like it should be easy to avoid but if you decide too much in advance it's going to be almost pc-game like it'll get boring for you and your players.
|Ruby| Clan Tremere| App2 | Cha 3 |
XeKad
Neonate
Neonate

Return to OOC