Lie Detect

Questions for the storytellers and admins about the game, or to discuss VTM in general.

Moderator: Storytellers

Forum rules
This is a place to post questions and start discussions in regards to the game and it's mechanics.

We encourage debate and participation but remember, NO FLAMING. Always be respectful and STAY ON TOPIC.

Lie Detect

Unread postby Jamestoo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 pm

As per our house rules, each side rolls, and depending on whethere detector wins, they get told either "You detect deception," or "

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1 (mask). Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 1 (Engaging, Disrespectful).
Jamestoo
Ancillae
Ancillae

Share On

Re: Lie Detect

Unread postby Bek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 pm

"you detect no deception"
Anthony Marsico, Malkavian Primogen
Camarila Status: 4 | + DIGNIFIED | Ancilla | - FIXATED
Charisma: 4 (Charming) | Appearance: 3 | Intimidation: 1 | Leadership: 3

Also Plays: Jamal (Nosferatu Fledgling)
Bek
Storyteller
Storyteller

Unread postby Jamestoo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Oops. Fatfinger.

... or "you do not detect deception." And the "defender" *mist roll to resist no matter what. Cool.

BUT...
What if you're telling the truth, and win? Do you have to say "you detect deception" cuz they "failed?" Or can you tell the truth about telling the truth?

Like my fear is that with a high subterfuge, you would appear to always be lying even when you're not...
James

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1 (mask). Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 1 (Engaging, Disrespectful).
Jamestoo
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Jaxon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:55 pm

you sense no deception - if you are lying or not when you win. and if you lose, and the person is not lying, you also sense no deception.
Primogen & Ancilla, Clan Ventrue | Camarilla Status 4 (— | HUSTLED)
Appearance 3 | Charisma 4 | Presence | Intimidation 1 | Leadership 3
Jaxon
Helper
Helper

Unread postby Jamestoo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Oh ok. So if the "detector" loses, they always get told "you sense no deception," no matter what. Yeah?

Jamestoo
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Syn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:22 pm

If you fail, you can't tell if they're lying or not.

Cuz you fail at being able to tell. You have no idea. Maybe, maybe not!

Now if you botch, on the other hand, that's a different story...
Safiyah Manzoor - Harpy, Clan Toreador | Charisma: 4 (Compelling) | Appearance: 3 | Expression: 3 | Presence | Cam Status: 2 (Cutting/Cutting)
Syn
Assistant Storyteller
Assistant Storyteller

Unread postby Malevolence » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:08 am

I always wait until the detector rolls, if they fail, I don't roll and they detect no deception.
If they succeed, I then roll. If I get more successes, I win, and they detect no deception.

Just to be clear- this is not in any way foolproof. It's not a lie detector test. You are picking up nonverbal cues that could lead you to believe they are lying. If someone is naturally nervous or hesitant that could just be them.

Unless you can read their minds, you can not 100% know they are lying. Please keep this in mind. Being a vampire may make you more attuned to people but it's not completely accurate.

[Maya | Ravnos | Elder | Independent | Clan Status: 7 | Appearance 5 - Exotic, Charisma 5- Graceful, Presence]
[Joan Wright | Toreador |Harpy | Cammie Status: 3 | Current Clan Status: 2 | Appearance 3,Charisma 3,Presence]
Malevolence
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Game Questions and Discussions