Thing You Never Got to Play

Questions for the storytellers and admins about the game, or to discuss VTM in general.

Moderator: Storytellers

Forum rules
This is a place to post questions and start discussions in regards to the game and it's mechanics.

We encourage debate and participation but remember, NO FLAMING. Always be respectful and STAY ON TOPIC.

Thing You Never Got to Play

Unread postby Jamestoo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am

What vampire character type have you always wanted to play, but never been allowed to because of chronicle needs and believability and stuff?

This thread is not for complaining. Comments that complain about restrictions will be met with looks of disappointment.

This thread is for impractical fantasy and unfulfilled desire. What thing you wanna play but can't?

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Share On

Re: Thing You Never Got to Play

Unread postby Scarecrow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:02 am

This is hard to respond to with specifics. For me, it's often to play a counter-balance to what's out there.

One of the things I face is, being new to the game, I don't have a breadth of experience. But, joining any long-time setting, and also joins a host of character stories. For any character concept, chances are, someone else has done it and has stories to share! So it ends up being 'situations' that I play off of.

Last night, I discussed a possible Nos alternate - a real bruiser-type, a terror of the sewers, a nightmare in dark alleys. That's very different (I hope!) then what I do with Mose, so it'd be a 'counterpoint'.

I'd like to try a Brujah at some point, but I think the issues of Brujah and their temper are exacerbated by their typically burgeoning population. Throw a bunch of twitchy-af individuals into a limited area, and major sparks and drama shall ensue. I'd love to play within a small population of Brujah, but they're always booked to the gills.

One thing I know I never want to play is Toreador. I get the appeal, but it's a style that drives me nuts. I can't wrap my brain about it. I also play in an online samurai setting (Rokugan), and that gives a huge dose of what Toreador seem to do: a bunch of Tea & Crumpets (Blood and crumpets?) In a sense there's a profound, intense aspect to them which appeals, but pretty much everything else seems dedicated to being supercilious. But again, that may well be me.

Ventrue aren't high on my list, but in certain circumstances I could/would play one. I love Gangrel; the whole 'Outlander' thing. Right now, if I had to reroll, I'd like go Tremere, as an experiment. Malk have a lot of appeal, but also major concerns about playing one intelligently and appropriately. Also, they're far too close to Nos in (lucid) mindset and skill/ability sets.

As for the secondary clans, I don't know much at all about them. They seem to be meant as outlier clans. I actually have a neat (I think) idea for a Caitiff. But the problem with Caitiff is you're always out of the loops. If your diligence thrusts you INTO the loop, then that means it's a weakened structure. Independent Caitiff types aren't mean to help drive story, and if they do, that's a bit of a problem.

But basically, to reiterate, I generally want to play off the scenario.

- Michael
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby isadorbg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 am

True Brujah ?

I can be very patient so not worries. :P
|Julien Laurent| Clan Ventrue | |Charisma 3| Appareance 3|
isadorbg
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby freedomischaos » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 am

We rarely close the Brujah because by the numbers are apt to be the largest size of any one clan on par with Gangrel and Nosferatu.

They do a lot more of these high embraced numbers and let Darwin weed out the weak.

By this, I mean unless there is a huge unbalanced group you can always play them.

As for Caitiff, I'd say it is no more different for plot stuffs than a Giovanni. What most are unwilling to do is bind themselves up to an elder to gain silent prestige and duck behind their lack of clan when problems arise between clans.

It is hard to exist in the uncertain universe at times that we try to cultivate carefully but never feel that a concept at the core can be lost. It is just what are you willing to play, willing to limit yourself and willing to go to whatever lengths at risk of death to play out.
[others: Rodrich Crowley (Followers of Set), Bob Jennings (Elder Malkavian),
Wilhelm Furst (Elder Ventrue), Jason Pitman (Ventrue), Gideon (Gangrel Anarch),
Simon LaMontagne (Tremere Elder)
freedomischaos
Lead Storyteller
Lead Storyteller

Unread postby Scarecrow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am

freedomischaos wrote:We rarely close the Brujah because by the numbers are apt to be the largest size of any one clan on par with Gangrel and Nosferatu.

Thanks for the heads' up, David!

I found the above quote interesting - it seems you are suggesting that Nos are often a very populated clan. Yet in my extremely limited experience, it seems few people want to play them. Are they more appreciated then I seem to feel? (if so, CALLING ALL NOS! Let us gather around the spawning pool and sing the songs of our people)

I always lump Toreador, Brujah and then Malk as those that seem to draw interest, along perhaps with Gangrel. I've only known them as restricted, so haven't gotten a good look).

- Michael
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Jamestoo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 am

Like I said, these are completely impractical desires. Don't judge me. I know exactly why these will never happen and shouldnt. Not realistic, but... desire doesn't care about that.

Tzimisce 1. Modern neonate or ancilla Metamorphosist. Scholar as mortal.
Tzimisce 2. Dark Ages Constantinople pre-fall. Neonate practicing the cool-weird religion they had there. Connected to Library of the Forgotten.
Tzimisce 3. Dark ages. Road of Sin. Was Scholar-Priest as mortal.

Capadocian 1. Dark ages. Scholar on road of bones.

Harbinger of Skulls. Modern. Road of Bones.

Setite 1. Modern, Camarilla, Ancilla, Harpy. Perfectly by the book masquerade protector.

Nosferatu Antitribu. Sabbat Inquisition. Ancilla.

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Jamestoo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 am

- it seems you are suggesting that Nos are often a very populated clan. Yet in my extremely limited experience, it seems few people want to play them. Are they more appreciated then I seem to feel? (if so, CALLING ALL NOS! Let us gather around the spawning pool and sing the songs of our people

Yeah, historically they are well populated. But Sang limits them to a ratio of 1:10. One Nos per Ten Others (from what I remember Syn saying, so caveat caveat caveat disclaimer). Cuz otherwise they own everyone and rule the world.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Jamestoo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Also always thought it would be enjoyable to play Shovelhead #17 who doesn't have a prayer of making it more than a week or two, like the "I'm just a kindergartner" dude who is in waaaaay over his head.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby isadorbg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm

It could be cool. Especially if you don't get to choose your clan. You create the mortal and then you get a random clan. All the fun of being a meatshield.
|Julien Laurent| Clan Ventrue | |Charisma 3| Appareance 3|
isadorbg
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby Malevolence » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Come to the Night in Question, you can do that exact thing :D

[Maya | Ravnos | Elder | Independent | Clan Status: 7 | Appearance 5 - Exotic, Charisma 5- Graceful, Presence]
[Joan Wright | Toreador |Harpy | Cammie Status: 3 | Current Clan Status: 2 | Appearance 3,Charisma 3,Presence]
Malevolence
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Game Questions and Discussions