Thing You Never Got to Play

Questions for the storytellers and admins about the game, or to discuss VTM in general.

Moderator: Storytellers

Forum rules
This is a place to post questions and start discussions in regards to the game and it's mechanics.

We encourage debate and participation but remember, NO FLAMING. Always be respectful and STAY ON TOPIC.

Re: Thing You Never Got to Play

Unread postby Malevolence » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Also, we only limit Nosferatu to experienced players, really, because you'd be surprised at how many people don't get the whole "super sneaky secret keeper" thing.

[Maya | Ravnos | Elder | Independent | Clan Status: 7 | Appearance 5 - Exotic, Charisma 5- Graceful, Presence]
[Joan Wright | Toreador |Harpy | Cammie Status: 3 | Current Clan Status: 2 | Appearance 3,Charisma 3,Presence]
Malevolence
Site Admin
Site Admin

Share On

Unread postby XeKad » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Malevolence wrote:Also, we only limit Nosferatu to experienced players, really, because you'd be surprised at how many people don't get the whole "super sneaky secret keeper" thing.

Free the beast!
|Ruby| Clan Tremere| App2 | Cha 3 |
XeKad
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby Jamestoo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Ohhhh, I thought it was a quantity thing... now I get it. Shoulda been obvious, but now I get it. :D

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby freedomischaos » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 pm

There is also a lot of them that are just plain "hidden".

There was something of a quote from one of the books about the Nosferatu that when Gangrel first started to migrate to the Americas that they found the Nosferatu there already hiding in caves and under rocks and spreading their fingers into the tribes.
[others: Rodrich Crowley (Followers of Set), Bob Jennings (Elder Malkavian),
Wilhelm Furst (Elder Ventrue), Jason Pitman (Ventrue), Gideon (Gangrel Anarch),
Simon LaMontagne (Tremere Elder)
freedomischaos
Lead Storyteller
Lead Storyteller

Unread postby ilthok » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 am

Scarecrow wrote:One thing I know I never want to play is Toreador. I get the appeal, but it's a style that drives me nuts. I can't wrap my brain about it. I also play in an online samurai setting (Rokugan), and that gives a huge dose of what Toreador seem to do: a bunch of Tea & Crumpets (Blood and crumpets?) In a sense there's a profound, intense aspect to them which appeals, but pretty much everything else seems dedicated to being supercilious. But again, that may well be me.

If all you see, when you look upon the Toreador, is Tea & Crumpets, then the gaming world has seriously failed you. The Toreador encompass artists that can run a wide gamut of types, even the digital arts and weapon forging.

Poseurs also exist, socialites to the core who have to live with a stigma of having been embraced for fleeting fascination instead of the preservation of the arts.

Then there's hedonists and degenerates, who exist in varied degrees of based debauchery and high perversion, all in the shadow of paying lip service to being an Artiste or Poseur.

And lastly, we have the burnouts. Sensory overloaded, bored, cynical creatures that most Toreador are often afraid of becoming, but have likely met at least once in their unlives. Pitiable creatures that have lost the spark of their clan's bailiwick.

Tea & Crumpets is not the salient, single quality that brings all these types together. It's the fact that Toreadors are masters and slaves to humanity, moreso than any other clan. They have passions, they fall in and out love with the masses, they are addicts to them, while fearing and hating them on levels of emotion that make other clans pale in comparison. Even their clan weakness is a drug where they're forever fascinated with the best and worst parts of the world around them. A weakness so compelling that most Toreador would be hard pressed to admit it's a burden because they're just too high on the rush of sensation to ever want to get rid of it.

They're not my favorite clan, but they're up there. They are the very notion of swimming in the deep end of the Camarilla pool, with the high intrigue and the high stakes intrinsic in a high clan without all of the stuffiness of one. You can play that metalhead, or the shaved and pierced freak. The weirdo or the closeted basketcase. They're all Toreador. Try giving it a shot some time. It was some of the most fun I've had on Sanguinus when I played one. ;)
[Spencer West | Tremere | Cam Status: 1 Charisma 3 | Appearance 2]
ilthok
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Scarecrow » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:36 am

Oh, I get it - intellectually. They have the best lingering understanding of humanity (although Malks could argue that in a perverse manner). They best embody the desperate pushback against a withered unlife and immortal ennui. They feel in ways probably no other group of Kindred do. Conceptually, it's a great idea. And it draws a lot of people. When I first started reading VtM, they were my top choice.

It's just that when it comes to 'in play' that I lose my interest, and that's really a matter of my mindset when I'm ready to come to a gaming table/session. Maybe moreso these days. If I want to engage in the social hierarchical jostling that is so deeply part of the Toreador experience...I'd turn away from my computer and seek out people around me. Gaming, for me, is actually getting away from that. And I acknowledge and respect that for others it's a way to engage that.

We all come here by different paths. And frequently - typically - when I do so, I rub my hands together, look at the plot, and say, "Okay, what can I mess with next??" I tend to be action-oriented, whether it's sneaking, scrapping, investigating, or what-not - but all while operating within the nuances and conflicts and revelations of the setting. I love the proud, primal, stubborn austerity of the Gangrel. The peculiarly understandable dichotomies of the Nosferatu. Even the still-waters-run-deep profundity of the Ventrue.

In a setting such as Sang, hosts of these character types are bottled together, and that exacerbates the extreme salient points of most clans. And the escapism I seek when I game ultimately leads me away from the Toreador. Great Clan, great concept, many many great players. It's just not for me!

- Michael

(but thank you for sharing your input; seriously!)
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby krieg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 am

A fighter character.
krieg
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby MuchWow16 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 am

I'm not sure if it's allowed in this server, but I guess I always wanted to play a Firebug, or at least he was a Firebug as a Mortal
MuchWow16
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Unread postby freedomischaos » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:26 am

Not likely. Hitmen and the like are really low on the humanity scale as vampires so starting out as one isn't going to be able to be possible. Plus the concept and style tends to not really jive with the game itself.
[others: Rodrich Crowley (Followers of Set), Bob Jennings (Elder Malkavian),
Wilhelm Furst (Elder Ventrue), Jason Pitman (Ventrue), Gideon (Gangrel Anarch),
Simon LaMontagne (Tremere Elder)
freedomischaos
Lead Storyteller
Lead Storyteller

Unread postby Zahana » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Lasombra Antribu. There's almost never a justifiable reason for one to be a player character.
Does history guide you or do you set out to change it?
[Venture |Charisma 3 |Appearance 2 |Intimidation 2 |Leadership 2 |Presence]
Zahana
Neonate
Neonate

PreviousNext

Return to Game Questions and Discussions