V5 Backgrounds Rant

Questions for the storytellers and admins about the game, or to discuss VTM in general.

Moderator: Storytellers

Forum rules
This is a place to post questions and start discussions in regards to the game and it's mechanics.

We encourage debate and participation but remember, NO FLAMING. Always be respectful and STAY ON TOPIC.

V5 Backgrounds Rant

Unread postby Jamestoo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:03 pm

As I devour the book, I like many things. One quick bummer tho.

7 pts in advantages max.

No believable Rich or Academic Characters are possible. Happens when there are no freebie points.

They did that in Nwod. Now again. Now, easy to house rule it... just add freebies. Anywho.

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Share On

Re: V5 Backgrounds Rant

Unread postby Scarecrow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 pm

As I read it, there are fewer points across the board...in skills, attributes, merits, etc. My guess that's to make successes and such more meaningful. But I'm pretty sure I've noticed that there's no 'Rule of 1', in which a 1 cancels out a success. In fact, rolling a 10 gives double successes, so that's handy.

- Michael
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Jamestoo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Separate issue, but ok.

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Zahana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Wait, no freebie points? That's really going to change up how I make charters.
Does history guide you or do you set out to change it?
[Venture |Charisma 3 |Appearance 2 |Intimidation 2 |Leadership 2 |Presence]
Zahana
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby Pandito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Damn, that's pretty sad.
Landon Woodstein, Toreador, Appearance 3, Presence, Charisma 4 (Magnetic), Expression 2, Status Camarilla +1
Pandito
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Unread postby Jaxon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Take a read through on the Resources background as it's written in V5. Like VtM, but even more clearly there, lower levels of resources are pretty well off.

Also, as it's written, both neonate and ancilla templates get free XPs at character creation - which is basically freebies.
Primogen & Ancilla, Clan Ventrue | Camarilla Status 4 (— | HUSTLED)
Appearance 3 | Charisma 4 | Presence | Intimidation 1 | Leadership 3
Jaxon
Helper
Helper

Unread postby Jamestoo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Neonate means like "more than 30 years and less than 100 years dead."

Does not therefore solve the problem of no rich or academic people getting embraced.

Rich People:
Want to be super good looking and have 4 in resources? No! That takes 4+4=8 backgrounds. How about 4 resources and "just" darn good looking? No! That takes 2+4=6 backgrounds, and would only leave you one point of backgrounds to use in justifying that money.

How about just 4 resources? Really, with only 3 points of backgrounds for your network? Really?

Academic:
To get a PhD in the humanities, you have to have 4 extra languages certified. Boom, 4 points gone. Now you have 3 points to represent all your contacts, influences, allies, status, and resources. Wanna rock a 4 in two obviously related knowledges? No. Only exactly one 4 in all your abilities.

No smart people. No rich people.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Scarecrow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Jamestoo wrote:No smart people. No rich people.

Good. I know this is probably a minority opinion, but it seems like everyone plays a rich run-way model. And I know - I know! - that this is a game of fantasy and vicarious wish fulfillment. But as Syndrome said...

"And when everyone is special...no one is."

And it won't be "no" rich/smart people. It just requires prioritization and a commitment. And what's the fun of making a smokin' hot young (semi-immortal) dilettante with a trust fund when everyone's that way? The point of country clubs is to be exclusive.

But think of it this way - nobody has to sink points in "Appearance" anymore! And this way, when someone does...it becomes special again.

Those are just my thoughts, and as I said, I suspect I'm in the minority.

- Michael
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Jamestoo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 pm

It's not possible to embrace a Professor, ever again.
Zero of them have been in the last 30 years, and zero of them will be embraced for the rest of time. It's simply not possible.

If it was hard, I'd be like woohoo. Cuz turning yourself into a Prof is all-consuming and getting harder.

But it's not possible.

It's not even possible to make a mortal Prof.

No mortal profs. They don't exist.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Jamestoo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 pm

But I'm done now.
Is no biggy really.

/me hands the One Ring back to Frodo. "It wouldnt really look good on me, so you should prolly find some one else to carry it."

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Next

Return to Game Questions and Discussions