V5 Backgrounds Rant

Questions for the storytellers and admins about the game, or to discuss VTM in general.

Moderator: Storytellers

Forum rules
This is a place to post questions and start discussions in regards to the game and it's mechanics.

We encourage debate and participation but remember, NO FLAMING. Always be respectful and STAY ON TOPIC.

Re: V5 Backgrounds Rant

Unread postby SomebodyElse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 pm

Uhm, so I'm not seeing how you get to the no professors conclusion. I think you'd just need like 4 dots in any mental skill to be a professor.
[ Sidney Goldstein | Clan Ventrue | | Camarilla Status 3 | Orator | ]

[Charisma 3 | Appearance 3 | Expression 3 | Leadership 3 | Intimidation 2 | PRESENCE]

SomebodyElse
Inconnu
Inconnu

Share On

Unread postby Jamestoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 am

Each language requires a background dot.
Takes at least 4 languages to get a PhD in one of the Humanities.

Now you have 3 points left for all of your resources, contacts, allies, status, and influence.

Prof salary is 3 resources.
Getting there involves accumulating at least 1 contacts, but probably 2.
The position comes with at least 1 in University Influence.
And unless you're Autarkis, you'll need to purchase 1 in Status of either Camarilla or Anarch.

Minimum 9 in backgrounds. You get 7.

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Zahana » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 am

Is it a game requirement or an irl requirement that you need 4 languages for a humanities PhD?
Does history guide you or do you set out to change it?
[Venture |Charisma 3 |Appearance 2 |Intimidation 2 |Leadership 2 |Presence]
Zahana
Neonate
Neonate

Unread postby Jamestoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:48 am

IRLz.

ATTIS: Nosferatu. Charisma 4 (Pleasant). Appearance 0/1. Intimidation (0). Leadership (0). Camarilla Status 3 (Engaging, Disrespectful, +2 Temporary).
Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Scarecrow » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 am

I work at a "Baby Ivy" university, and I don't think I know any professors (all PhDs) who know four languages. I'm sure there are a couple who might, but I definitely know many who do not. And they draw their professors from Ivy/Stanford/Duke/Vanderbilt/etc., as well as international powerhouses.

It feels like you're focusing on a very specific outcome, and also conflating mortal life experience with vampire life experience. For instance, you might be a professor, but it's utterly improbably to assume you're holding a tenure-track position as a vampire. Those lunch-times with the Provost or President tend to be a problem. In fact, it'd be fairly hard to have much of an income at all, as you're basically relegated to teaching night classes in blended learning scenarios (basically a contract gig for not a lot of money). So that knocks out the Resources aspect.

And the contacts being referenced are for your Vampire existence; not your scholastic endeavors. Now, nothing prevents you from maintaining these as contacts as Kindred, but once you stop teaching classes and going on Faculty Retreats, and, y'know, joining them for lunch and such, those mortal contacts dry up.

Instead of being a polyglot professor on a successful tenure position in a prestigious university, you're a former academe who sucks people's blood to stay 'alive', and constantly on the move and on the run from the Second Inquisition. And Status in this game is played out IC.

That could very easily look like: 1 Resource, no contacts and no linguistics, maybe 1 Status. If you want University influence, go for it - you have plenty of points to spare.

You're an undead monster hunted by the governments of the world; not a successful, well-placed scholar enjoying the fruits of one's labors. It changes the perspective quite a bit!

- Michael
Mose Martin | Nosferatu | Status: 2 | Camarilla | Primogen | Appearance: 1/0 | Charisma: 2 | Intimidation 3 | Leadership 1
Scarecrow
Ancillae
Ancillae

Unread postby Jamestoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am

Aite.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby Jamestoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am

It feels like you're focusing on a very specific outcome, and also conflating mortal life experience with vampire life experience

Yes. As I said, a petty rant, and not even an important one. Even if we decided that I was right, it would be extremely easy to work around. Oh well.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Unread postby SomebodyElse » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Yeah, so I totally have a PhD and speak only English sufficiently to merit a background point and in V5 you get two languages for free. (Native + Chronicle standard.) I know many PhD professors and none of them speak 4 languages fluently.
[ Sidney Goldstein | Clan Ventrue | | Camarilla Status 3 | Orator | ]

[Charisma 3 | Appearance 3 | Expression 3 | Leadership 3 | Intimidation 2 | PRESENCE]

SomebodyElse
Inconnu
Inconnu

Unread postby Jamestoo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 pm

I may have over generalized from the requirements of specific institutions and programs I have attended. Oopsies.

Jamestoo
Elder
Elder

Previous

Return to Game Questions and Discussions